Applications For 2023 Are Now Closed
The application process is open from 1st April to 15th June. Please return completed applications by email to email@example.com. Outside of these dates there is a late application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form. See below for the rules governing Late Applications.
1. How to Apply
Applicants must complete the application form in full and with the required attachments and submit same before the closing date 15th June (after such date a late application fee will apply):
All applicants must submit:
- The relevant subscription fee by Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT), bank details provided in the application form
- A digital passport-style photograph
- A Certificate of Good Standing
- A Practicing Certificate
- Copy of Professional Indemnity Insurance Certificate*
- Copy of confirmation of Registration on Roll of Practising Barristers with Legal Services Regulatory Authority. See Roll of Practising Barristers Information – Legal Services Regulatory Authority
Professional Indemnity Insurance
*Note LSRA Regulation S.I. Number 572, this provides that barristers practising in Ireland (including those based in Other Jurisdictions and working in Ireland intermittently) must now purchase professional indemnity insurance from an insurer “…licensed and authorised to transact business in Ireland” (Part IV paragraph 9). The insurer must also meet the minimum financial strength rating.
The LSRA has formally approved The Bar of Ireland group scheme of Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII)
- For information AON provides insurance broking and related financial service to The Bar of Ireland and can be contacted via email email@example.com or Patricia Watkin firstname.lastname@example.org – NOTE: Should we not be in receipt of a copy of your PII certificate 10 days before the start of Michaelmas term, 16 September 2022, any prospective new member will not be permitted to commence membership.
- PII proposal form
- Terms of Business Agreement
- Professional Indemnity Insurance Product Information Documentation (IPID)
- Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy Wording
- Professional Indemnity Insurance Information Sheet
- Professional Indemnity Insurance Product Update Summary
The following documents will be of relevance to prospective applicants:
In August, applicants will be issued with an Acceptance Letter containing:
Details of Law Library subscription rates
- Junior Subscription €3,711 (based on 2023/24 subscriptions)
- Senior Subscription €9,400 (based on 2023/24 subscriptions)
Information on the Law Library Orientation Day which takes place during the week prior to the start of term will be sent via email. Orientation covers the practicalities of Law Library membership plus information and pointers on personal and professional development of benefit to you as you progress through your career as a barrister. It is not compulsory to attend orientation.
Late Applications for applicants from other Jurisdictions:
Applications received between 15th June and 31st August, are subject to a late application fee of €800 (non-refundable).
Applications received after 31st August, are subject to a late application fee of €1,000 (non-refundable).
Acceptance of late applications are at the complete discretion of the Library Committee and there is no guarantee that applications received after 15th June in the applicable year will be accepted in to the Law Library.
During the Late Application period, applicants must contact The Bar of Ireland Member Relations Department for an application form.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.