- Direct Professional Access:
William Abrahamson has been in practice at the Bar since 2001. He has a broad civil practice, with a particular focus in the areas of commercial law and chancery. His practice includes litigation and advisory work in the areas of banking and security law, company law, insolvency, contract disputes, land law, landlord and tenant, and construction law. He has acted in a number of high profile matters, and in significant multi-party commercial disputes with an international dimension.
William has appeared at all levels of the Irish Courts. He has also been involved in litigation before the Court of Justice of the European Union. He has acted for clients before a Tribunal of Inquiry and as counsel to a Commission of Investigation. William is an accredited mediator (CEDR) and has extensive experience in acting for clients in mediation and arbitration.
William’s clients include a range of commercial entities, including banks and investment funds; NAMA and related entities; receivers and liquidators; as well as the State and a number of local authorities.
William’s recent case-work includes:
- Denis O’Brien v. Red Flag Consulting Limited  IEHC 867,  IECA 258 – A case concerning alleged conspiracy and defamation, in which a number of significant judgments have been delivered in the area of discovery and Norwich Pharmacal relief. (Counsel for the First to Sixth Defendants)
- National Asset Loan Management v. Garrett Kelleher  3 I.R. 568 – A claim by NAMA to recover banking debts totalling approximately €46 million, involving events and connected proceedings in a number of jursidictions (Ireland, England, the US and Belgium). The case was admitted to the Commercial List, and involved the delivery of an important judgment from the Court of Appeal concerning proceedings commenced by summary judgment. (Counsel for the Plaintiff)
- Trafalgar Developments Limited v. Mazepin  IEHC 13,  IEHC 611 – A multi-party case concerning an alleged conspiracy by Russian and Cypriot actors to defraud the shareholders of a Russian-registered company. (Counsel for the Ninth Defendant)
- Re Dominar Group Limited  IEHC 208 – Proceedings by a shareholder seeking to remove the liquidator of a company. (Counsel for the liquidator)
- Re Alvonway Investments Limited  IEHC 376 – Proceedings by a liquidator seeking the disqualification or restriction of company directors. (Counsel for the liquidator)
- Klohn v. An Bord Pleanála [Case C-739/19] – A preliminary reference by the Supreme Court to the CJEU for determination of questions concerning the entitlement of a visiting lawyer from another EU Member State to appear before the Irish Courts. (Counsel for the General Counsel of the Bar of Ireland as amicus curiae)
- Sheehan v. Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal [Judgment awaited] – An appeal admitted to the Supreme Court to address a point of law of general public importance concerning the scope of statutory appeals under the Solicitors Acts. (Counsel for the complainants)
- Subrogated claims brought by Liberty Insurance in the names of over 600 plaintiffs seeking to recover damages from the suppliers of infill material for the construction of houses damaged by pyrite. (Counsel for the Plaintiffs)
- A series of proceedings case-managed in the Competition List concerning alleged anti-competitive practices in the sale of trucks in breach of Irish and EU law. (Counsel for one of the Defendants)
- Co-author of Abrahamson, Dwyer and Fitzpatrick, Discovery and Disclosure, 3rd edition (2019), Round Hall
- Contributor to Ó Floinn, Practice & Procedure in the Superior Courts, 2nd ed. (2008), Bloomsbury Professional
Recent lectures include:
- Legal Professional Privilege in Civil Litigation – a paper delivered in October 2020 at a La Touche conference on Legal Professional Privilege chaired by Mr Justice Noonan of the Court of Appeal
- Discovery and Interrogatories after the Tobin Decision – a paper delivered in March 2019 at a Dublin Solicitors’ Bar Association conference chaired by Mr Justice Haughton of the Court of Appeal
- William participates in the Supreme Court Voluntary Assistance Scheme
- Member of the Education Committee of the Honorable Society of King’s Inns (2008 to present)
- Member of the Board of Management of St Catherine’s National School, Dublin 8 (2019 to present)
- Commercial Litigation Association of Ireland
- Restructuring and Insolvency Ireland (formerly Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners)