- Other Memberships:
- Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Direct Professional Access:
Niall is based in Dublin and has a general civil practice with a particular specialisation in the areas of succession, probate, trusts and wards of court.
Niall is a graduate of University College Dublin (BCL with Economics, 2013), the Honorable Society of the King’s Inns (Barrister-at-Law Degree, 2014) and the London School of Economics and Political Science (LLM, 2015).
He was called to the Bar in 2014. He is a former legal researcher in the Law Reform Commission, having been the principal legal researcher on the Commission’s project on Section 117 of the Succession Act 1965, culminating the Commission’s publication of its Report on Section 117 of the Succession Act 1965: Aspects of Provision for Children (LRC 118 – 2017).
Since commencing practice, Niall has appeared before all levels of the Irish Courts in a diverse range of matters ranging from commercial and chancery matters to succession, probate, trusts and wards of court.
Niall completed the Law Society diploma course in Trust and Estate Planning in 2021; he is a qualified Trusts and Estates Practitioner (TEP) and a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
Recent Cases & Legal Work
Niall accepts instructions from solicitors in relation to a number of court and non-court matters.
Recent cases and legal work include:
- Tom McEvaddy Property Ltd Trading as Nexus Homes ((in Liquidation)) v National Asset Loan Management DAC  IEHC 593. Niall Acted for the Plaintiff in the High Court security for costs motion;
- Acted for one of the Defendants in a High Court will challenge;
- Acted for an interested party in a contentious High Court application seeking certain orders relating to the interpretation and construction of an Enduring Power of Attorney;
- Acted for an Executor in his capacity as Defendant in a Circuit Court trial in proceedings pursuant to section 117 of the Succession Act 1965;
- Niall regularly provides advices and opinions in relation to the administration of estates and trusts, particularly where complex issues of law or construction arise or if there is an international dimension.
Niall was the principal legal researcher on the following publications, which were published by the Law Reform Commission:
- Report on Section 117 of the Succession Act 1965: Aspects of Provision for Children (LRC 118 – 2017);
- Issues Paper on section 117 of the Succession Act 1965 (LRC IP 9 – 2016).
Niall was one of the principal legal researchers on the following publication, which was published by the Law Reform Commission:
- Report on Regulatory Powers and Corporate Offences (Volumes 1 & 2) (LRC 119– 2018).
Niall provides regular contributions to the Irish Current Law Monthly Digest (ICLMD), which is published by Thomson Reuters and provides digests of cases in the Superior Courts.
Speeches & Lectures
Niall Lectures students in the Principles of Business Law in IBAT college, Dublin.
Niall has presented the following CPD papers:
- Dublin Solicitors CPD: Succession & Probate – a Practical Guide to Claims Against Estates (May 2019);
- Probate Bar Association: Section 117 of the Succession Act 1965 – Lessons from Abroad (March 2021).
Pro-bono & Voluntary
Niall is a Committee Member of the Moot Society of the Bar of Ireland.
The society organises mooting competitions for junior members of the Bar . The society organises the annual Adrian Hardiman Memorial Moot, the grand final of which takes place before the Supreme Court in July each year. Niall is a previous runner-up in the competition, having competed as a member of a team that reached the grand final in 2018. Niall has served as the Moot Convenor of the competition since 2019.
- 087-758 1678
- Law Library Four Courts Dublin 7