- Other Memberships:
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Construction Bar Association
Cumann Barra na Gaeilge
Probate Bar Association
Society of Construction Law
- Other Languages:
- Gaeilge (Fluent)
- Direct Professional Access:
Pat practises primarily on the Cork Circuit and before the High Court but also has experience of having appeared before the District Court and Court of Appeal. He has broad general experience of civil and litigation practice, including conveyancing, chancery, probate, landlord and tenant, commercial, public procurement, construction, defamation and personal injuries. He is an accredited mediator and has experience of acting as an arbitrator. Pat has also appeared before the WRC and the Labour Court, as well as having acted as a workplace investigator.
Tá ard-chumas sa Ghaeilge ag Pat agus tá treoracha trí Ghaeilge glactha aige os comhair na Cúirte Duiche, na Cúirte Cuarda agus na hArd-Chúirte, chomh maith le láithriú os comhair an Choimisiúin um Chaidreamh san Ait Oibre agus os comhair na Cúirte Oibreachais. Tugann sé léachtanna ar an gcúrsa ceime Dlí agus Gaeilge i Scoil an Dlí, UCC.
Pat has appeared in the following notable cases in the past:
- BAM PPP Ireland Limited -v- National Roads Authority  IEHC 157 – Environment, Construction & Planning – Award of public contracts – European Communities (Award of Public Authorities’ Contracts) Regulations 2006 – European Communities (Public Authorities Contracts) (Review Procedures) Regulations 2010 (Remedies Regulations) – Council Directive 89/665/EEC – Breach of contract – O. 84A of the Rules of the Superior Courts – Source of effective remedy (counsel for the Plaintiffs);
- Ennis -v- Sports Travel International Limited  IEHC 189 – Tort – Damages & Restitution – Personal injury – Dismissal of claim – Delay – Balance of Justice – Non-availability of witness – Prejudice (counsel for the Defendants);
- Allied Irish Banks plc -v- O’Reilly  3 IR 722 – Practice and procedure — Third-party proceedings — Summary summons — Contribution — Concurrent wrongdoers — Whether third-party procedure applicable to summary summons procedure — Whether defaulting borrower and guarantor concurrent wrongdoers — Rules of the Superior Courts 1986 (S.I. No. 15), O. 16, r. 1 — Civil Liability Act, 1961 (No. 41), ss. 11(1) and 21(1) (counsel for the Defendants);
- Ó Cadhla -v- The Minister for Justice and Equality  IEHC 503 – Criminal trial – Irish language rights – Article 8 of the Constitution – Applicant seeking declaratory relief – Whether the respondents had a duty to make reasonable efforts to assign a bilingual (Irish-English) District Judge for the criminal trial of the applicant in the District Court (counsel for the Applicant);
- Harpur -v- Brogan  IEHC 770 – Personal injury – Damages – Delay – Plaintiff seeking damages – Whether the defendants could get a fair trial (counsel for the Plaintiff).
- Údar ar alt: Cealú Ceada i gCásanna Athbhreithnithe Bhreithiúnaigh, foilsithe i Súil ar an Dlí, First Law/Lonsdale Law Publishing, 2009;
- Author, Homosexuality, Defamation and the Law, (November 2010 – Vol. 15, Issue 5) The Bar Review;
- Author, Summary Judgment in Ireland – Principles and Defences (Bloomsbury Professional, 2013). Second edition pending.
Pat has tutored and lectured extensively in all areas of law in institutions such as Dublin City University, Griffith College Dublin, Griffith College Cork, Coláiste Stiofáin Naofa and University College Cork at certificate, diploma and degree level. He lectured in Constitutional Law – Institutions of Government in UCC in 2015 – 2016 and is currently lecturing in Cásanna Dlí agus an Ghaeilge in UCC.
Pat volunteered with the Northside Community Law Centre in 2007 – 2008 and has been a volunteer with the Free Legal Advice Centre since 2007. He has furnished legal advice pro bono through the Public Interest Law Alliance.