- Direct Professional Access:
Ian practises in the areas of chancery and commercial law, professional negligence and regulation, property litigation, banking, arbitration, construction, insurance and company law.
Ian acts for individual and institutional clients before the Superior Courts and in arbitral proceedings. He also practises on the Dublin Circuit and before various disciplinary, regulatory and specialist tribunals, including the WRC, the CICT and the RTB.
Ian is a member of the Professional, Regulatory and Disciplinary Bar Association (PRDBA) and sits as a member of the disciplinary and complaints panel of the Irish Athletic Boxing Association.
Ian is also a member of the Psychologists Registration Board, a State Board administered under CORU.
Ian studied law at Harvard Law School and University College Dublin. He has taught law as a tutor at University College Dublin and currently teaches the Company Law and Corporate Insolvency module on the Barrister-at-Law Degree at the Honorable Society of King’s Inns.
Recent cases include:
- Pepper Finance Corporation (Ireland) DAC v. Cannon  IESC 2,  2 ILRM 373 – Constitutional Law – Jurisdiction of Supreme Court – Appeal – European Law – Consumer Rights – Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts (Counsel for the Respondent, led by Rossa Fanning SC)
- Galway Free Range Eggs v. O’Brien  IECA 8 – Tort – Passing Off – Quia Timet Injunction – Survey Evidence (Counsel for the Appellant, led by Martin Hayden SC and Thomas P. Hogan SC)
- Dempsey v. O’Shaughnessy  IEHC 39 – Professional Liability – Delay – Strike Out (Counsel for the Defendant/Applicant)
- Grant v. County Registrar for Laois  IEHC 185 – Judicial Review – Practice and Procedure – European Law – Consumer Rights – Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts (Counsel for the Notice Party, led by Michael McDowell SC)
- Pepper Finance Corporation (Ireland) DAC v. Jenkins  IEHC 485 – Banking Law – Trustee – Assignment – Securitisation (Counsel for the Plaintiff, led by Aidan Redmond SC)
- A complex commercial court dispute involving questions of jurisdiction, choice of law, probate, company law and the proper identification and construction of trust documentation (led by Thomas P. Hogan SC and Vinog Faughnan SC).
- A commercial court fraud and conspiracy action involving allegation of professional negligence and deceit arising out of a series of commercial property transactions (led by Thomas P. Hogan SC)
Recent arbitrations include:
- An arbitration concerning the proper interpretation of the business interruption provisions of a re-insurance treaty in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic (led by Frank Beatty SC)
- A multi-million euro arbitration concerning the proper scope of indemnity arising on foot of a buildings policy of insurance (led by Declan Buckley SC)
This form is available to solicitors & in-house counsel and members of an Approved Body, for the purposes of Direct Professional Access