- Other Languages:
- German (Working)
- Direct Professional Access:
Cillian Bracken is a practising barrister, specialising in public law and judicial review, in the areas of immigration and asylum, employment and equality, social welfare, housing and data protection. Cillian accepts instructions in all areas of administrative law and general practice.
Cillian studied law and German at University College Cork and Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, before pursing a masters in public law and human rights at the London School of Economics. Cillian has also taught in Trinity College Dublin, National University of Ireland, Galway and is a lecturer in Constitutional law and judicial review in Griffith College, Dublin.
Prior to commencing practice, Cillian worked as a legal researcher in the civil service, for the European Commission, was a judicial assistant in the Courts Service, as a research assistant to a member of the Venice Commission of the Council of Europe, and at legal charity specialising in strategic litigation.
- ‘The Transfer of Sentenced Persons Convention: Lost in Translation’ (2015) COLR
- ‘O’Flynn v Carbon Finance Ltd: Contemporary Developments for Examinership Law in Ireland’ (2015) COLR 61. Gold Medal winner.
- ‘Unreasonable Intolerance: Article 14 as the basis for SOGI Refugees Claims at the ECtHR’ (2017) 5 EHRLR 455
- ‘Talk to me like Lawyers do – Celmer returns to the High Court of Ireland’ Verfassungsblog (7 Sept 2018)
- ‘Episode 5 of the Celmer Saga – The Irish High Court Holds Back’ Verfassungsblog (28 Nov 2018)
- ‘Jury Trial Reform: Verdicts, Reasons and the Rule of Law’ (2018) COLR. Best Letter winner.
Cillian has regularly engaged in pro bono work, including for the Irish Refugee Council, NASC, Cairde, Robert Emmet Community Development Group, and BeLongTo. Cillian also has volunteered with the Bar of Ireland’s Voluntary Access Scheme.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Immigration, Asylum and Citizenship Bar Association
- Employment Bar Association
- European Union Bar Association
- Climate Bar Association
- OUTLaw Network