- Bar of England & Wales
- Direct Professional Access:
Michael Judge is a junior counsel practising in the areas of commercial law, public law, EU law and regulatory law. He regularly undertakes advisory work for clients, including the State.
He was called to the Bar of Ireland in 2018.
He undertook his LL.B. at Trinity College, Dublin and is a former scholar of the College. He completed an LL.M. at the University of Cambridge and was awarded the Joseph Petty Studentship. During his graduate studies, he was an editor of the Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law. Additionally, he undertook an externship at the United States District Court for the Central District of California in the Courts of the Hon. Judge Dale S. Fischer and the Hon. Judge Philip S. Gutierrez.
He was called to the Bar of England & Wales in 2022 (Inner Temple).
He is currently an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Trinity College, Dublin lecturing European Human Rights during the 2022/2023 academic year.
Recent Cases & Legal Work
Recent selected highlights of Michael’s practice include:
- Murphy and Ors v. An Taoiseach and Ors (acting for the Respondents in an ongoing challenge to the State’s handling of the Covid-19 crisis);
- WhatsApp Ireland Limited v. Data Protection Commission (member of the counsel team acting for the Applicant in an ongoing challenge to a decision of the DPC);
- Friends of the Irish Environment CLG v. Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communication and Ors (member of the counsel team acting for the Respondents in an ongoing challenge to the Government’s Sectoral Emissions Ceilings);
- Friends of the Irish Environment CLG v. Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communication and Ors (member of the counsel team acting for the Respondents in an ongoing challenge to the Government’s Long-Term Strategy);
- Quinn Insurance Limited (Under Administration) v PricewaterhouseCoopers (member of the counsel team that acted for the Defendant in a 7 day Commercial Court discovery hearing; ultimately compromised).
- “Methods of Dramatically Increasing Judicial Capacity”, (2022) 27(5) Bar Review 138.
Speeches & Lectures
- “Updates from the TCC — A Year in Review”, paper delivered to the Construction Bar Association of Ireland on 16 February 2022.
Pro-bono & Voluntary
Michael has assisted in a number of pro bono matters, including in preparations for a recent Ireland for Law event, which is the Irish Government’s international legal services strategy.
- 083-802 9911
- Law Library Four Courts Dublin 7