- Other Languages:
- French (Working)
- Direct Professional Access:
Killian accepts instructions in civil law disputes with a particular focus in commercial/chancery, company, banking and personal injuries/medical negligence matters. Killian practises on the Dublin and Eastern Circuits.
Killian was called to the Bar in 2018 and maintains a general civil practice. He is regularly briefed to appear in the High, Circuit and District Courts in both substantive and procedural hearings on behalf of a wide range of clients.
Prior to joining the Bar, Killian studied at the University of Dublin (LL.B) and the University of Edinburgh (LL.M). His Master’s degree focused on EU competition law, corporate governance and international private law. Further, Killian was supervised in his early career by several established practitioners and assisted with drafting/submissions for cases in the Personal Injuries, Chancery, Non-Jury and Commercial Lists.
In addition to his practice as a barrister, Killian writes daily articles on developments in case law for Irish Legal News, a leading media outlet for Irish lawyers. He also is a digest editor for the Irish Current Law Monthly Digest which is published on Westlaw.
Recent Cases & Legal Work
Killian is instructed in civil matters at all levels of the legal system. Killian regularly represents banking, corporate and insurance clients. Killian has also recently been briefed to act on behalf of the State. Examples of recent work in which Killian has been engaged include:
- Acting on behalf of the Attorney General and Minister for Social Protection (District Court)
- Acting for banks/companies in plenary and summary debt proceedings (High/Circuit/District Court)
- Acting for plaintiffs and defendants in medical negligence and personal injuries actions (High Court)
- Acting for defendants/insurers in employers and public liability disputes (High/Circuit/District Court)
- Acting for creditors in applications under the Companies Act 2014 (High Court)
- Acting for investment funds in possession proceedings relating to commercial and consumer loans (High/Circuit Court)
- Acting for landlords in the enforcement of RTB determinations (District Court)
- Acting for a publican in a licensing dispute (involving an appeal by way of case stated) (High/District Court)
Additionally, Killian has extensive experience in procedural applications including as discovery, interrogatories, third party and strike out motions.
Detailed information of Killian’s recent work is available upon request.
Killian is currently a contributor to Irish Legal News and writes daily case reports on Superior Court cases. The case reports are among the most widely-read updates on Irish law in the country.
Killian is also a Digest Editor for the Irish Current Law Monthly Digest which is found on Westlaw.
As a result of these authoring positions, Killian has produced hundreds of case reports on Irish law. Killian uses these case precedents to remain up-to-date on current issues and developments in case law.
Speeches & Lectures
In 2019, Killian delivered a CPD titled “Periodic Payments Orders and the Civil Liability (Amendment) Act 2017 – A Dead Letter?” at the Lawyers Against Homelessness lecture series. The lecture focused on the decision in Hegarty v. HSE  IEHC 788 which determined that PPOs were not a good remedy for injured plaintiffs.
Additionally, Killian has an accredited lecture from the Insurance Institute of Ireland entitled “PIAB – Time for Reform.” The lecture examined the utility of the Personal Injuries Assessment Board and the potential reforms which could provide better outcomes for plaintiffs and defendants.
Killian has also delivered a lecture on settlement and negotiation to the Dublin Solicitors CPD body in 2019.
Killian regularly speaks at internal CPD events for solicitors firms.
- 083-300 0012
- Law Library Four Courts Dublin 7
- @Killian Flood