- Other Languages:
- Spanish (Working)
- Direct Professional Access:
Daragh accepts instructions across all civil matters with a focus on data protection, professional negligence, commercial and chancery law.
Having completed his LLB (Law with Spanish) including a year studying at La Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), Madrid, Daragh spent several years working in banking. He advised companies and high-net-worth individuals generally and worked in commercial lending, litigation and advising on engagement with the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman.
Whilst working in banking, Daragh was a Qualified Financial Advisor (Institute of Banking/UCD) and obtained an MSc in Healthcare Ethics and Law from the Royal College of Surgeons (Ireland), before completing the Barrister-at-law degree in King’s Inns.
Daragh devilled with Paul Coughlan BL, Kelley Smith SC and Shelley Horan BL largely in commercial, intellectual property, professional negligence, company, tax and regulatory law.
In 2022 Daragh was appointed to the European Data Protection Board’s Expert Panel in the areas of:
- Technical expertise in new technologies and information security, and
- Legal expertise in new technologies.
Daragh receives regular instructions from solicitors and in-house counsel across many civil disciplines, with recent instructions including:
- Acting for insured defendants in professional negligence matters in the High Court, both as sole Counsel and led by Senior Counsel.
- Acting for the State and Statutory Bodies, data controllers (both domestic and international) and data subjects, in a significant number of data protection matters in the Circuit Court and the High Court. Often these cases involve complex and novel matters of Constitutional and European Law.
- Acting for insured Defendants in Personal Injury matters.
- Acting in other forums including the Labour Court (defending against an alleged protected disclosure) and in Sport Arbitration and subsequent appeals.
- Advising the State and Statutory Bodies, large multinational companies, charities, high net worth individuals, and solicitor firms on all aspects of data protection law including novel matters involving new technology, Court Orders, the Law Enforcement Directive, e-Privacy matters and international transfers.
- Advising large companies and State Bodies on their engagement with the Data Protection Commission and in relation to available avenues of appeal.
- Advising companies on regulatory matters including competition law, freedom of information, cryptocurrency and gaming and betting law.
- Advising large multinational companies on a wide range of prospective strategies and their implications in relation to data protection, intellectual property and employment law.
- Advising the State on draft legislation implementing European Law.
- Jointly advising a professional body on VAT implications.
Daragh is working with colleagues, solicitors and members of the Irish judiciary as a Settlement Coordinator Volunteer assisting with the relocation of female Afghan judges and their families to Ireland.
Daragh has delivered several CPD lecturers to law firms, State Body DPOs and also to Bar Associations and is a member of:
- The Commercial Litigation Association of Ireland (CLAI),
- The Employment Bar Association,
- The EU Bar Association, and
- The European Circuit.